Accessibility Policy | West Bletchley Council
This statement was prepared on 26 January 2023.
This website is run by West Bletchley Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
• change colours, contrast levels and fonts
• zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
• navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
• navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
• listen to most of the website using a screen reader
We have also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
Ability Net has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability. You can visit their website at: https://abilitynet.org.uk/
How accessible is this website?
The accessibility menu can be accessed via the blue and white Accessibility icon located on the top right of each page. Clicking on the Accessibility icon will enable an Accessibility menu to load. This is a 3rd party widget provided by UserWay which includes the following options:
• Keyboard navigation
• Bigger Text
• Pause Animation
• Screen Reader
• Highlight Links
• Text Spacing
• Dyslexia Friendly fonts
For more information on how to use the UserWay Accessibility widget, you can visit https://userway.org/
Feedback and contact information
In addition to the Accessibility widget, if you need information on this website in a different format, please contact us and we will discuss your needs.
Call: 01908 648257
Visit: West Bletchley Council, 221 Whaddon Way, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, MK37DZ
We will consider your request and get back to you within 7 days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems or think we are not meeting accessibility requirements, please contact the office:
Call: 01908 648257
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (‘the accessibility regulations’). If you are not happy with how we respond to your complaint, you can contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
West Bletchley Council is committed to making its website accessible in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No.2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is at this time, only partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the following:
• the text will not reflow in a single column when you change the size of the browser window
• you cannot modify the line height or spacing of text
• older PDF documents may not be fully accessible to screen reader software
• some of our online forms may be difficult to navigate using just a keyboard
• you cannot skip to the main content when using a screen reader
• there is a limit to how far you can magnify the map on our ‘contact us’ page
• some images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the image description information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content). We plan to add text alternatives for all images as soon as possible. When we publish new content, we’ll do our utmost to ensure images meet accessibility standards.
Interactive tools and transactions
Various forms on our website are built and hosted through third party software and ‘skinned’ to look like our website. This is to ensure personal data security and GDPR compliance. We have assessed the cost of fixing the issues with navigation and accessing information, and with interactive tools and transactions. We believe that doing so now would be a disproportionate burden within the meaning of the accessibility regulations. We will make another assessment when the supplier contract is up for renewal.
What we are doing to improve accessibility
This website was last tested on 15 August 2022. The test was carried out using popular Website Accessibility testing tools. We plan to update content in line with Accessibility guidelines and in addition, re-test the whole website at least annually.